Test automation has become the need of an hour as every organization is in the need of faster and quality releases. Whenever it comes to automation testing tools, selenium is the most preferred choice. This tool not only helps testers to perform automation testing easily but also provides various benefits that make it one of the favorite tools for testers. Let us now look at some of the prerequisites that are required for selenium testing.
What is selenium testing?
Selenium is an open-source test automation framework that is used to automate tests for web-applications. It is an automation test suite that has three components in it namely Selenium IDE, Selenium Grid, and Selenium WebDriver. This framework supports various languages such as Java, Python, C#, Ruby, etc. It allows testing on various OS such as Windows, MAC, Linux, etc., and all web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Edge browsers. This tool allows parallel execution of tests which saves time and effort for testers. It comes with a record and playback feature which makes test execution very easy and convenient for testers.
What is required for selenium testing?
To get started with selenium testing, there are some prerequisites that every tester must know. These requirements are stated below:
- Software testing basics
- Automation basics
- Core Java Knowledge
Most testers across worldwide prefer using selenium with Java due to various reasons like:
- Programs written in Java are much faster than other programming languages such as python, ruby, etc.
- Java comes with wide community support that helps testers in testing the software
- Java is widely used for commercial applications as compared to other programming languages such as python, therefore integrating selenium test is easier
Let us now look at some of the prerequisites required for getting started with selenium using Java
- Install Java(JDK)
- Install Eclipse
- Selenium Client and WebDriver Language bindings
- Configure Selenium Webdriver with Eclipse
- Create and Run the first test with Selenium and Java
What are the benefits of selenium testing?
- One of the major benefits of this tool is that it is free and open-source. It can be downloaded directly from the official website
- It supports multiple OS like Linux, Mac, and Windows, etc.
- It supports all the major browsers so you could test on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE, Edge, etc.
- It has good community support which provides regular upgrades and updates
- It has a user-friendly interface which is one of the main reasons for its popularity
- The community provides lots of free tutorial videos that the user can see and learn from it
- It provides a record and playback feature that helps in generating scripts
Conclusion: There are numerous test automation tools available in the market, but one common tool that is widely used by testers all across the globe is selenium. This tool not only makes the testing process easy and convenient but also has several additional benefits such as seamless integration, faster reporting, parallel testing, cross-browser testing, etc. There are some prerequisites as mentioned in this article that should be taken care of before getting started with selenium testing. Leverage automation testing from a next-gen QA and software testing services provider to achieve high-quality software.